Child and Adolescent Services

Child & Adolescent MH Services

Children and adolescents (ages 3 – 17) and their families may receive services in:

  • An intensive in-home program
  • School
  • A clinic setting

What is the intake process?

To begin intake process, call 325-646-9574 to schedule a screening.

Crisis Hotline – A telephone service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week that you can call to get help if you or your child is experiencing a psychiatric crisis. Locally, this number is 1-800-458-7788. This hotline is available for anyone to call, regardless of if they are receiving services or not.

Assessment – There are several steps to completing an assessment. The first part is to determine whether or not your child is eligible for services from the local mental health authority. A licensed professional will meet with you and your child face-to-face to ask you questions about your child’s mental health, emotional and behavioral issues, their relationships at home and with friends, their health, their development, their schoolwork and other information needed to complete the assessment.

Requirements for Services

(We provide a free assessment to determine the following)

  1. Must have a mental health diagnosis
  2. Must reside in Brown, Coleman, Comanche, Eastland, McCulloch, Mills, and San Saba Counties.
  3. Parent must complete a rating scale that points out problematic areas.
  4. Must have one of the following:
  • GAF of 50 or below
  • At risk of being removed from the preferred living environment
  • Considered E.D. special education in school

If your child has more than one of the following symptoms, we may be able to help:

  • Wants to sleep all the time
  • Has trouble getting to sleep
  • Argues with adults
  • Fighting
  • Does not mind adults
  • Problems with behavior at school
  • Poor appetite
  • Overeating
  • Low energy
  • Poor concentration
  • Depressed mood
  • Feelings of worthlessness
  • Loses temper often
  • Defies adult’s requests or rules
  • Blames others for mistakes
  • Deliberately annoys others
  • Touchy or annoyed by others
  • Does not pay attention to details
  • Does not listen when spoken to
  • Does not follow through on instructions
  • Difficulty organizing tasks
  • Loses thing required to complete a task
  • Easily distracted
  • Runs, climbs excessively
  • Difficulty engaging in leisure activities quietly
  • Blurts out answers
  • Difficulty waiting turn
  • Interrupts others

What services are provided?

Each child and family is unique. Each plan of service is designed for your child and your family’s needs specifically. Not every child needs every service offered. Center for Life Resources will work with your family to give your child and family what will help the most.

Crisis Hotline – A telephone service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week that you can call to get help if you or your child is experiencing a psychiatric crisis. Locally, this number is 1-800-458-7788. This hotline is available for anyone to call, regardless of if they are receiving services or not.

Case Management – This service assists you and your child to access needed resources and services. The case manager will also monitor your child’s treatment, provide continuity of services, and plan for the services needed by your child.

Case management will be provided to help your child access needed medical, social, educational, and other appropriate services that will help your child achieve a higher quality of life and community participation acceptable to you and your child. Case Managers also monitor and coordinate your child’s treatment, provide continuity of care and develop a plan for the services needed by your child.

Your Case Manager also:

  • Helps you when there is a need for crisis prevention and management, by locating and coordinating emergency services in order to prevent the crisis from getting worse.
  • Is responsible for monitoring the services your child receives to see if the services are effective, or if your child needs additional or different services.
  • Is responsible for identifying and arranging for the delivery of the services and supports that you have discussed with them and that you believe will address the child’s needs and desires.

Treatment Planning – Developing your child’s’ treatment plan is a collaborative process involving you, your child (if old enough to participate), and the intake specialist/case manager with whom you are working. It will include goals and objectives that are measurable, so that you and/or your child can tell if he or she is making progress. The treatment and supports should be individualized and reflect the needs and preferences of you and your child, focusing on his or her strengths to improve daily life functioning.

Skills Training – Skills training provides your child the opportunity to learn and improve the skills that they need to function as appropriately and independently as possible in the community. Skills’ training is designed to improve the child’s quality of life, as well as maintain the progress that is made. This service includes, but is not limited to activities and training to address their mental illness or the problems that result when their symptoms interfere with functioning in their living and learning environment. As much as possible, skills training should be done within a natural setting, such as home or school, rather than in the center’s offices.

Family Partner Support- Family Partners are individuals who have experience navigating a child-serving system such as the mental health system as the parent or legal guardian of a child with a serious emotional disturbance. They have received special training to provide supports to other parents. These supports may include sharing their personal story of their child’s resilience and recovery; introducing you to the treatment process; helping you advocate for your child; teaching skills specific to parenting a child with an emotional disturbance; and helping you identify the natural supports in your life.

Medication-Related Services – If your child is prescribed medication, there are several services that are provided as a part of your child’s care:

  • Case managers will be responsible for monitoring your child’s medication by assessing the impact of the medicine, including how well the medicine is working, if there are any side effects or adverse effects or if your child is experiencing any possible toxic reactions to the medicine. You should report any symptoms or side effects to your case manager, so that they can contact med clinic and child psychiatrist with these concerns.
  • Appropriately trained staff will also teach your child and/or family member the knowledge and skills needed to be able to administer and monitor the medication at home.
  • The Child Psychiatrists will be responsible for managing your child’s medication to determine if his/her symptoms are staying the same, getting worse, getting better or clearing up completely. The doctor will evaluate the effectiveness of the prescribed medication, the dose (how much), the frequency (how often) and whether or not a different medication should be tried, and when.
  • Your local mental health authority is responsible for ensuring that your child receives his/her prescribed psychoactive medication, under certain circumstances. Your child’s medication will be provided to you if:
  • You have no other means of paying for this medicine (if you do not have insurance).
  • The medicine has been determined to be medically necessary.
  • It is prescribed by an authorized representative of the local mental health authority.
  • Your child is receiving services through our local Child & Adolescent through Center for Life Resources.

Inpatient Services – Hospital services provide 24-hour care to children who cannot be stabilized in a less restrictive environment. Services are designed to provide safety and security during an acute psychiatric crisis. The staff provides intensive interventions designed to relieve the child’s acute symptoms so that the child can return to their community. Inpatient services will be provided to a child if deemed necessary to ensure safety of the child and others in child’s environment through crisis assessment.

Wraparound Planning – Wraparound planning is a way of delivering services, not a particular service or program. It is a way of planning treatment that focuses on the strengths of your child and your family. You and your child decide who would be most helpful in participating on your child’s “wraparound team” and, as a team; you identify the services and supports that are the best fit for meeting the needs of your child, and reflect your values and preferences. These services and supports will include informal and natural supports that are available within your community.

Counseling – Counseling designed to resolve problems that result from the child’s mental, emotional or behavioral disorder. An appropriately licensed professional will provide this service.

Nurturing Parenting Skills Training – Parents/guardians may also receive skills training. Nurturing Parenting Skills Training is provided face-to-face to the parent/guardian of a child to help them understand the effects and treatment of emotional, behavioral and mental disorders. Nurturing Parenting Skill Training also serves to sharpen parenting skills that can help meet the child where he/she is to help improve daily life functioning for the child and family.

School-Based Services – Counseling, skills training or case management provided on a school campus.

Child and Youth Mental Health (MH) Priority Population –

The children’s mental health priority population are children ages 3 – 17 with serious emotional disturbance (excluding a single diagnosis of substance abuse, intellectual or developmental disability, or autism spectrum disorder) who have a serious functional impairment or who:

(1) Are at risk of disruption of a preferred living or children care environment due to psychiatric symptoms, or 2) Are enrolled in special education because of a serious emotional disturbance excluding a single diagnosis of IDD  ASD, or SUD and reside in our service area.

For more information regarding Child and Adolescent services, call (325) 646-9574

 The Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Waiver allows for more flexibility in the funding of intensive community based services to assist children and adolescents with severe emotional disturbance to live in the community with their families. To learn more, call 1-888-609-6467.